Friday, December 10, 2010

Thunder Agents 2

What you need to know: The team goes out on it's first mission.


What you'll love

Nick Spencer: I've taken to calling Nick Spencer the Kevin Durant of comics. My reasoning is that much like Durant, Spencer is immensely talented and on the verge of becoming a household name. In my opinion, Spencer is every bit as good as comics' top tier writers, it's just a matter of time before the rest of the world recognizes it.

BKV: It's very silly to compare writers, especially in the context of someone being the "next _____(insert famous writer). However Spencer's work on this book has reminded me of Brian K Vaughan, Spencer's voice in this book speaks to the frailty of the human condition in way that he doesn't in his other works. Another way Spencer reminds me of BKV is in how intelligent, well researched and clever his scripts are.


Art: It's simply beautiful. Seemingly a cast of thousand's worked on this issue, this is usually a bad sign but it worked. Cafu is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists and Cris Cross' work on theLighting's backstory captures the character's emotions brilliantly. It's moving stuff.


Grown up superheroes: I need depth in my comics, Thunder Agents is not a series of senseless action scenes, with men in capes punching each other. It's something much more creative and resonant. It's about life, how short it is and how the choices we make shape who we are.

What you won't

Story development: Realistically, the first two issues have been exposition. I for one enjoy when exposition is done well, it's the foundation of the rest of the story. That being said, these guys still haven't actually finished their mission yet.


Bottom Line: Nick Spencer's meteoric rise continues in this installment. I'm beginning to enjoy this book more than Morning Glories.(Which is saying a LOT)

GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment