Saturday, December 4, 2010

Irredeemable 20



What you need to know:
The Plutonian is captured by an advanced alien race, things look bleak for our hero indeed. Meanwhile his former teammates(and the world) celebrate the end of the Plutonian's reign of terror.

Plutonian's complexity: I never imagined that Waid would mine so much depth out of the lead character. I should know better by now than to doubt Mark Waid. This is one of the best series around and Waid keeps adding layers of complexity to it.

Cross over Moment: If you read Irredeemable's sister book(Incorruptable) then you're in for a treat. We get a Cameo from Max Damage. It may be small, however it builds another brick in what maybe just be the best created world in comics right now.

Sympathy: Over the last few issues, Waid has done the impossible, he has actually gotten the reader to have sympathy for a homicidal manic. Most of this issue is the Plutonian engaged in a dream sequence of what he wished his world was like. It's sad stuff. As a reader I've actually begun to root for the Plutonian to redeem himself.

Depth: This one is hard to explain without spoiling the issue. Let's just say that the Plutonian makes a subconscious choice that reveals all we need to know about his mindset these days.


What you won't

Weird:
While I enjoyed the dream sequence, there were a few parts that were just out there. Granted dreams are weird, but it didn't do much for me.

Story progression: While this issue is deep, it's not very wide. Very little progress is made in terms of story.

Bottom Line: This is the most underrated book on the stands today. I don't understand why it hasn't caught on. Even worse when people make their year end or best of list, Irredeemable is rarely included. It's a shame really.

Grade: A-

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, your description of this title is spot on. I agree with you on the lack of buzz for this title. I don't understand it. Both irredeemable and incorruptible are solid reads that are on my monthly top of the stack priority list. My only criticism is the pacing. Irredeemable can be a tad slow to boil at times but not to the point of frustration.
    Highly Recommended!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I agree, I dont know why it doesn't garner more attention. Yeah the pace can be slow, but I mean really how much can he get out of all this. I honestly thought he'd be ending things about now. And I love Incorruptible.

    ReplyDelete