Saturday, December 4, 2010

Jonah Hex 62 Review


What you need to know: Jonah takes a job delivering a very special package, in classic Hex fashion all hell breaks lose.


What you'll love:

Strong open: I'm a huge fan of the first few pages of a comic, Hex is a great example of a simple open that catches your attention. Many books start with someone being killed but it's all in the approach.

Stronger ending: The last of page does more to show who Jonah is than the previous pages combined. It actually caught me off guard, I thought things were going a totally different way. Good writing.

Jonah: I'm new to Jonah, but every issue Palmiotti and Gray find new ways to pull back the layers of Hex. If you're going to write a anti hero, than he better live by his own code.(which on some level is his redeeming quality) There are few books out there that put this into action better than this writing team.

Art: 22 page of Eduardo Risso goodness. A very good Christmas present indeed.


What you won't

The middle:
I thought the middle dragged just a little. Hex also looked more vulnerable than I expected him to. I like bad ass Jonah.(Which came quickly enough, but something about it didn't do much for me.)


Bottom Line: Jonah Hex is a book you should reading, in fact I wish I'd picked it up a lot sooner.

Grade: B+

2 comments:

  1. I give this issue a higher grade than you, actually! Single-issue stories are becoming rare in comics, so Palmiotti and Gray delivering a crisp old-school tale with a punchy ending is double dynamite in my book! Risso does amazing things with the visuals while never sacrificing storytelling: my favorite comics artist right now! Lastly, the cover is unusual, relevant and just plain beautiful! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be right. I'm new to the title so I'm still finding my way with Jonah. I gave the issue two months ago and A. I was really torn with this one, I thought it was an A- or a B+. Something about it didn't strike me idk. Good book every month though.

    ReplyDelete