Friday, November 12, 2010

Ten Questions with Dominique Agri


1. Well the news of the week is obviously JMS's departure from Wonder Woman and Superman, in favor of writing sequel to the Superman Earth one GN. What are your thoughts?

I didn’t read his X Men run and from what I know (he killed off Jean Grey) he doesn’t sound like my kind of writer anyway. I thought that making Superman walk the country was too close to the biblical allegory he’s tied to and I’m not sure if he conceived the idea of changing Wonder Woman’s origins but I wasn’t a fan of it. I didn’t buy into the hype of his signing on and I won’t miss him. I haven’t had the chance to read Earth One yet (my copy is back in the States) so I’ll let you know how I feel about that when I do.

2. One quote from JMS really stood out for me.

"I think that's where the business is going, and creatively, limited series and graphic novels have always been my strong suit in that they let me tell cohesive stories with a beginning, middle and end. They can also be written and drawn before anything is ever announced or solicited, as was the case with Earth One, which has been one of the greatest and most creatively rewarding experience of my career" My Twitter feed is filled with theories on what he means, what's your take?

Frankly, I’m not sure. I would hope that writers have the foresight to plan a beginning, middle, and end when they take on monthlies. I guess he doesn’t. Maybe that explains why it was taking so long to get to a point in both books.


3. Grant Morrison is one of the most significant runs in the history of Batman, how closely have you followed it, and what do you think of the new status quo for the Bat titles.

I’ve basically read most of it – Final Crisis, Battle for the Cowl, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne – and I like his work a lot, even if I don’t always understand what’s going on. When I go back and read it in one sitting, I find the nuances of his work and the little hints he leaves really enhances the story. I think he’s bringing a really interesting take on the character for this generation.

4. I know you're out of the country right now, so your scope is a bit limited. What books are you really enjoying right now?


I do feel really out of touch. My friend has been sending me my weekly books on a monthly basis but it stops me from picking up new independent books I think look cool just browsing in my LCS. Right now I’m really only reading DC – all of the Green Lantern books. I love Emerald Warriors. Guy Gardner has been my favorite since childhood. I actually have his original title from the 90s. I absolutely love Gail Simone’s work on Birds of Prey. I think that she brings a lot of strength to the all female cast. I will always stick to the holy trinity. I am not a huge fan of JMS’ take on Wonder Woman but I’ll support her regardless and I look forward to seeing what will happen now. Geoff Johns made me a Flash fan even though I was reared on Wally West I’m beginning to appreciate Barry more and more. I also really like Bendis’ Scarlet and I think the art is great. I can’t wait to get back to Midtown Comics though. I already have a ton of Marvel and Indy titles on my Christmas list.

5. From looking at your website it's clear that we are both huge Spidey fans so I have a few Spidey related questions.


I’m not actually much of a Spider-Man fan though I appreciate the character. I haven’t read that much of him.

  • Did Spidey 3 suck as bad as people say? (I don't think so but I'm in the minority)

My boyfriend MADE me see that movie in the IMAX and I hated it. I can’t fathom why directors and writers feel the need to include corny dance sequences to all these movies. I couldn’t stand Kiresten Dunst as Mary Jane. She’s supposed to be an elegant fashion model and they chose someone who was furthest from that.

  • What do you think of the impending reboot?

I think they could focus on other heroes instead of recreating what they’ve already done but I have high hopes that it will make up for the last movie.

  • What Villains would you like to see in it?

I’m not sure. I really like Venom and Dr. Octopus but they will probably find characters they haven’t used yet.

6. How did you get into comics? What inspired you to start your website?

My father got me into comics as a young kid. He would buy me all the Archie books as well as some of the major story arcs in DC. I think it was The Death of Superman that made me fall in love with the medium and the character - Funeral for a Friend was so moving that I’ll never forget it. As an adult, it was Final Crisis that reintroduced me to reading comics regularly. I had to know why Batman died. I always laugh when I think that it took the deaths of two of my favorite characters to bring me into this world.

I also wrote my MA thesis on The Legacy of Wonder Woman which was a great way to reintroduce myself to the medium as well as its history.

7. What's it like being a woman in the comics world?

I’d say it’s probably pretty similar to any average reader. I get annoyed when I see nipple shots in every panel (ahmmm X Women) but I understand publishers are trying to appeal to a typically male audience. When I see overt, unnecessary sexual images, I hope it’s not deterring potential fangirls from reading comics but then again, I don’t see men who look like most comic guys in real life so I’d say it’s pretty equal on that front. Otherwise, I wish it would stop being a shock that I like comic books but I think that will change with time. The more women who admit they read comics, the less weird it will be to male fans.

8. There's so much talk about what it means to have a strong female character. In your opinion what does that phrase mean?

A strong female character is written as a person who has her own mind and knows how to use it. I think Gail Simone is extremely good at writing women. She gives them a voice and turns them from sidekicks, love interests and damsels in distress to real people readers can relate to. It seems female characters are so often just added to comics as something to look at. I adore the characters like Lady Death, Witchblade, and Pergatorie and I think they’re all very strong females but their art is so sexually explicit it would be easy to discount their power.

There are really two ways to think about it. A woman can own her sexuality and use it. There’s a great Wonder Woman book where she teams up with Black Canary and goes undercover to bust Roulette’s underground fighting ring. Black Canary tells Wondy it’s easier to infiltrate using good looks instead of force. I agree with that and I think it’s a statement for comics as a whole. We all like looking at something nice but at what point does it become offensive? I think the answer is when it’s constant. I don’t need to see Wonder Woman’s ass in every shot but thrown in a panel every so often doesn’t bother me.

The other side of it is that these images are our fantasies – either ones that have been fed to us as beautiful by media influences or some subconscious urge but regardless, comic books aren’t just about the writing. They’re largely about the art and without alluring images to look at, the medium dies. As long as the sexy women in these books recognize they aren’t meant to be male playthings, I think they’re still strong females that readers will appreciate instead of disrespect.

9. What's the best comic you've ever read?

That is a really difficult question to answer. I think comics that illicit deep emotional responses are the best. Grant Morrison’s All Star Superman made me cry my eyes out for an hour. It was so moving and I think he really captured the nature of the character.

10. Will they ever make a Wonder Woman movie?

When I asked my peers what got them into comic books, so many of them mentioned the cartoons they watched as a kid – namely Batman TAS. Wonder Woman hasn’t had a strong following since 1941 and 1975 respectively. First it was William Moulton Marston’s run which brought millions of children to read her title and then it was Lynda Carter donning the star spangled armor and acting on a television show. We are now a film and television centered culture and without that, her comic will never be recognized by the masses even though people the world over know her name.

It is definitely a step in the right direction that they’re putting her back on the small screen. David E. Kelly has a long history of writing female characters other women like and will watch. I’m taking bets he’ll make Diana Prince a civil rights lawyer by day and if that comes to fruition and is done and casted well, I have no doubt the show will appeal to teens and 20 something women but that’s still not a broad enough appeal.

For more of Dominique check out her website comicsperiod.com. I can personally vouch for it's awesomeness. While you're there check out the adventures of Vlog girl.(it's great stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment