Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ten Questions with Susan Shan





1. Wow What a game by Micheal Vick last night. Do you think he is the MVP of the league?

It's too early to call Vick the MVP, but he's the early favorite even with three missed games.


2. Donovan McNabb just signed what we now know is a heavily incentive laden contract with the Red Skins, do you think this is a good decision for either side, and what have you thought of Donovan's stint in D.C so far?

I've always liked Donovan. He was one of my first interviewees, and he has remained classy and personable throughout the years. The contract is good for both sides; Donovan doesn't lose anything by signing it, and the Redskins can release him at the end of the season if they are not satisfied. It's tough to gauge Donovan's stint in D.C. because not only is this his first year, it's the coaching staff's first year. The entire team has to adjust to a new system along with a new quarterback. And, it's not as if Donovan has a premier wideout to pass to. Joey Galloway is almost 40 years old, and he's Donovan's WR2; that's a joke.


3. Who's the best team in football right now?

If the Steelers had beaten the Patriots, that would be the easiest answer in the world. Since the Steelers lost, I'll have to say the Falcons (with uncertainty).

4. Who's the best team in the AFC?

New England Patriots (reluctantly). I still think the Steelers or Ravens are the best team, but records don't lie; the Patriots beat both.

5. How good are the Falcons?

Their offensive weapons (Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez) were expected to be good, but the defense has really stepped up. The defense is ranked eighth in the league in terms of points allowed (19.4 points per game). I've always liked Curtis Lofton, and he once again anchors the defense. Lofton is a tackle machine who probably should've made the Pro Bowl last year.


6. Is Randy Moss done?

I don't think he's done. It was never a question about his talent, which he still has. The other stuff is up to him, and that's what will determine the rest of his time in the NFL.


7. How did you get into sports.? What unique challenges do women(and in your case a minority) face?

I was raised to love sports. My dad took me to bars when I was five years old to watch Texas A&M football games. I was also a tomboy who played sports instead of with dolls. Growing up, I had one Barbie doll that was given to me as a gift by my parents' friend. Instead of playing with the doll, I used to toss it around like a ball.

Sports reporting is a tough field for a female, much less a minority female. I fight to gain respect and credibility every day for my writing abilities and sports knowledge. People find it difficult to believe that I really did choose this field because I love sports and everything sports stand for. I could care less about fame, popularity, or being on television. As long as I can make a decent living doing what I love, that's all that matters.

8. The NFL just came out with it's 100 greatest players of all time. Do you have any major problems with the list? Who's your number one?

Honestly, lists like these are always tough to make. It's like when the NCAA Selection Committee chooses its field of 65 (now 68); some teams are overrated, some underrated, and a few deserving teams are snubbed. As a whole, I have no major quibbles with the list. Peyton Manning will be No. 1 by the time he retires.


9. I'm a Cowboy fan, so I have to slip in a question about my boys. Who do you think Jerry will hire? Is Garrett the answer or will he look in a another direction?

It's tough to argue with how the team responded to Garrett. If he continues to motivate the team like he did in his first week, he will be the Cowboys head coach next year. In addition, everyone knows how much I like Felix Jones. My biggest complaint with the Cowboys has always been that they have no idea how to effectively use the talented and explosive Jones. In Garrett's first game as head coach, he started Jones over Marion Barber. That's definitely a step in the right direction.


10. Fill in the blank Fantasy Football is _________________.

God's gift to football fans.


Susan Shan is a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University with a B.A. in Creative Writing. She had her first major interviews at 16 with Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia. Since then, she has interviewed numerous athletes and written countless articles along with a brief stint as a professional poker player. Check out her website: susanshan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment