Saturday, November 27, 2010

Amazing Spiderman 649


What you need to know:
With a new job, new girl and a new life, Peter Parker has truly hit the big time! Too bad an enemy from his past is back to screw all that up.

What you'll love

Hobgoblin:
In my eyes Hogoblin is the most overlooked and under appreciated villain in the Spideyverse. The guys just plain fun, which is more than I can say for other villains who's names end in Goblin.

Humor: I can't tell you how many times, I smirked or snickered reading this comic, Dan Slott has such a good grasp on Spidey's snarkiness.

Fun: I've read more issues of Amazing Spider man than any other comic. One of the main reasons I've been drawn to it is that it's just plain fun. A guy my age swinging through the air, without a care in the world, even though in reality his life is falling apart. I think too often writer's confuse Spidey's being an "everyman" with being a loser. Peter Parker is not a loser, he's smart, handsome, and always has a girlfriend, this is not a loser. The key is to show his humanity as he struggles to make a life. His powers are extraordinary but his life outside of the mask is every bit as ordinary as ours.

New Status Quo: I just love the direction the way things are set up in Big Time, consider me anti OMD, however BigTime simply puts an end to all the controversy and tells good Spidey stories.(at least so far) Ending BND was a stroke of genius for two reasons. First Big Time is a natural jumping on point. Two OMD/BND will always be a loaded subject and associated with one most divisive decisions in comics. Big Time says to Spidey fans lets put that aside and just enjoy Spidey again.


What you won't

Length: So far the issues have come in a 30 page format. In both issues I thought there was a lull around page twenty five or so. In both issues Slott quickly recovers, finishing with a bang, but I think I'd rather see a 22 pager with a quality backup story. With a supporting cast as strong as Spidey's a backup could be very strong.

Lab: What the hell is going on in that lab Peter works at? He's been there twice and it's been attacked twice. Can Pete please make it through one work day?

Bottom Line: If you left this book because of OMD/BND, it's time to come home. Spidey's back!

Grade: A-


No comments:

Post a Comment