Tuesday, November 8, 2011

RIP Smoking Joke




My life as a sports fan has been influence by two men. My dad and my Uncle Ken. They would get together on the weekends and watch games. This was a necessity because my Uncle was too cheap to buy cable. The result was the sports addicted man that stands before you today. More fascinating than the games that went on were the stories. They spoke of Howard Cosell and two epic titans of boxing named Joe Frazier and Mohammed Ali. I soaked these stories in like a newborn does milk. As I got older I researched the rivalry myself, reading every book I could find on the subject, watching documentaries, and watching replays of the fights. I've viewed each of them in their entirety a few times.

Note that these events all took place years before my birth. The fight was and is the biggest sporting event in our nation's history because it was in essence our second civil war. White vs Black. Liberal vs Conservative, Pro war vs Anti war, hippies vs people that have a job.(had to throw that in)

America symbolically hitched their wagons to these two fighters and they took them for a decade long ride they would never forget.

RIP Smoking Joe Frazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment